Today has been an emotional rollercoaster of day for all good reasons just trying to figure out where we fit in. With Westyn still not "legally or officially" ours it is hard to know where we fit in on taking care of him, whether that be feeding, changing diapers, holding him or whatever. Seeing that we are only working off of 4 or less hours of sleep we are completely overwhelmed with everything. Today Westyn was having a hard time eating, we spent hours working with different nipples, positions, etc...finally we can to the realization he wanted to eat Similac formula and have a straight bottle nipple. So at 10:00 tonight we finally got him to eat 15 cc's which is exactly what they were waiting for all day. We are relieved to know that he ate before we left tonight and hopefully things continue. It sounds like he is going to be discharged from the hospital tomorrow and it sounds like we are taking him back with us to the hotel. Although we do not know when we are going to be able to leave Idaho...we are hoping to be home for the weekend. Anyway, we will keep you updated hopefully everyday.
Please pray that Westyn eats well tonight and also tomorrow and gets a clean bill of health. Right now we are overcome with emotion that he is our son and just can't wait until we can bring him home. We are nervous, like any first time parent, so please pray for our nerves to go away!!!
11 comments:
I got chills reading this post! I know EXACTLY how you are feeling right now! I have been there three times now. I am praying SO HARD that everything goes well and that you are back home soon. I can't wait to see a picture of your NEW SON!!!
I felt the exact same way with my first! My husband and I were so scared! But with plenty of practice you will be become a PRO!!!! Try not to worry it is just an adjustment period of getting to know eachother.
praying!! can't believe it's here!!!!
I know what you guys are feeling as well. It's so overwhelming being in the hospital caring for a baby who is not yet legally "yours" for the first time. It's exciting and exhausting all at once! I couldn't get the baby to eat at first either, but then I noticed the nurse squeezed both of his cheeks while putting the bottling in his mouth and he started eating right away! I felt so dumb asking her about it, but she said it helps them to start the sucking motion and eat. After I learned that little trick I didn't have any other problems with him eating. Hope everything continues to go well for all three of you! :)
You will do WONDERFUL!!! I think God gives us a strong instinct to care for His wee ones. We will continue to be praying that you fill find confidence and joy as you care for him. Can you believe he is here????!!!! Wow, so happy for you two! Just don't be afraid to ask for help or advice :)
We are praying that everything goes smoothly today. We can't wait until you all come home.
We love you very much!
I would love to tell you the nerves will go away but Westyn will always be doing something new to bring them up:o)I have no doubt you guys will get the hang of it and adjust well. After seeing you both with our kids I know you won't have a problem. Thanks for the update. I have been "stalking" your blog all weekend :o) I know I've said it before but we are excited to meet the little guy! See you guys when you get back!
I just found your blog via another blog and even though I have no idea who are you 'in real life', I just wanted to tell you how excited I am for you!! I keep checking your blog to see if there are any updates.
My husband and I just started our adoption process and even though we are still in the early stages, I can't help but get excited for when we get 'the call'! Thanks for sharing everything and giving me a glimpse of what it might look like.
Congrats!!!
I know everything feels CRAZY right off the bat in parenthood and add in the adoption perspective and there's a whole NEW twist, right?!? Don't worry, things will fall into place soon. Praying you can be HOME for the weekend! And PS - we MIGHT be up for the weekend...so if you are feeling up to it (NO PRESSURE) we could try to work something out to come say hi or something. But if not...we'll meet up when you're ready! Just throwing it out there!
Oh man! Do we ever know how you are feeling....just let it soak in. Sleep when he does and love on him. Nerves and emotions are normal!
I understand being nervous- I'm already getting that way and our baby isn't here yet! Just take it one day at a time and God will give you wisdom. So glad you were able to find out what would help Westyn eat better. Praying that everything will go smoothly and that you can come home soon.
Post a Comment