Monday, February 20, 2012

Much Needed...Adoption Update

I know it's been awhile since I have posted an adoption update, I am sure everyone is wondering what is in the works with our 2nd adoption. Oh side note * when I talked about adoption now it is referring to Baby Mulder #2's adoption!!
Anyway, we finally were able to turn in our Adoption Application to Agape Adoptions after waiting for some much needed paperwork to be attached to it. We mailed the application to Agape on Thursday and by Friday afternoon they already had it and approved us for their Domestic Infant Adoption Program...we are SO excited!! Then Friday later afternoon I already had our Adoption Home Study packet on our e-mail plus Saturday receiving the Domestic Infant Adoption fee schedule & agreement in the mail...WOW that was fast!! This also means there was a small (ok not so small) $1400 bill invoice as well, really already?!?!
So now we begin working on our Home Study packet, getting fingerprints & background checks done, yes again!!! Our current home study (the one with Westyn) is going to expire in May this year so instead of just updating we are totally doing it over...ugh!! Oh well I guess we were going to have to update anyway. This is means we have got to get fundraising!! I know sometimes that sounds bad fundraising to bring your baby home because honestly you can't fundraise to pay for hospital bills (well maybe you could???). But we are talking about this day and age adopting, honestly the price is somewhat ridiculous but honestly TOTALLY worth it!! Just to give you an idea of home much adopting costs...well let's just say you could buy a brand new 2012 car and it probably still might be less than an adoption bill. Another thing to make you think about the cost of adoption theses day would be if 250 people put together $100 each if probably still wouldn't cover the costs...sad I know!! Ok I am totally not complaining because like I said it's TOTALLY WORTH IT but honestly sometimes it makes me sad & frustrated!! I honestly am not sad at all that we cannot have biological children, God placed this in our lives for a reason so we have accepted it and moved on. Plus Westyn is ours regardless and we LOVE HIM just as much as if he were biological!! But, why on earth when you cannot biologically have your own children does it cost so much...sometimes it's just not fair!!
Ok...I am over that, moving on...we are excited to by on our 2nd adoption adventure. So in the beginning we were completely thinking another boy would be a perfect fit for our family, which honestly it would but now I think it would be fun to have a little "shopping" partner too!! I think Brandon might secretly want a girl too!! Honestly we are not specifying and whoever God chooses to place in our family we are thoroughly excited and we have GREAT names this time...exciting!! I also have been doing some research on baby strollers...I finally came to the conclusion we might need another stroller :). Honestly, we have almost everything that we need (well if it's a girl I guess girly thing would be nice)...we just need a bigger diaper bag, double stroller and a dresser to store baby #2's clothes in otherwise we are set!! I knew I made a great choice in getting neutral things last time, less expensive this time. We will keep you updated as much as we can as the adoption progresses...we have an almost one year old to chase around now too ya know :).

Oh maybe you would like an update on Westyn now too!! He is growing, growing, growing!! He continues to amaze us at how strong & smart his is. Brandon has been working on teaching his animals noises...we for sure have a cow down, sheep is there too and pig in the works :). Brandon also thinks its important to teach his the word "dirt", oh and duck noises are in progress too...imagine that one!! When we went into the doctor's office a few weeks ago he weighed 21 1/2 pounds but honestly still only in the 50th percentile...he stills little!! I don't think we are any closer to walking yet but honestly that's ok with me. I don't think he should walk until after he's one anyway...which by the way is in 2 weeks!! I am sad that he won't be considered a "baby" too much anymore but so excited to see what this next year brings. He is such a "goober" & "hamball" I know that when he starts walking and talking it will get interesting around our house. Check back for updates on his 1 year doctor's visit and his 1st Birthday (which by the way is Mickey Mouse...his favorite)!!!

As always we continue to covet your prayers as this next chapter of our adoption journey unfolds...it's a ride for sure!!

4 comments:

Ross and Taya said...

Super excited again for your family Kari! We know that adoption costs are ridiculous but if we're willing to spend that much money on a vehicle that has no eternal value, why would we not spend that much on a life who's soul is eternal? If only people would see things from more of an eternal perspective. If they did, we're guessing they would give much more generously to families like yours. It's all about priorities. Proud of you guys! =)

Trisha said...

I am so, so happy for you guys and that things are moving right along! You're right on with the costs; I wish we could change that part but like you said, it's totally worth it! Can't believe your sweet boy is going to be 1! It's hard to believe they are growing up so fast!

Aimee Bouma said...

We are so excited for you guys...we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers! Hope everything goes smoothly.

Jessica said...

I totally get the discouragement with costs! My head says, "SO many orphans out there, along with women wanting to give their child up for adoption, and SO many of us couples aching so badly to become parents or grow our family because we can't naturally. It seems like an easy equation, and something that could be better for all of us if it didn't cost $30,000 and take as long. What can ya do? Pray. :)

Praying for your new addition soon!